Monday, January 4, 2010

Birthday Block Swap

One of the quilting group's I participate in have an annual Birthday Block Swap in which members can participate in. Its really a fun swap where each participant selects a block and personalizes it with her choice of fabrics and/or colors. Then when their birthday comes around, each participant send her a block they made just for her. Who doesn't enjoy receiving squishies in the mail?

My selection for this year is called Queen Charlotte's Crown and I've chosen Batiks in shades of purple, yellow/orange, and fuschia.



One of the swap's requirements is each participant has to make a sample of the block. The purpose of this is to ensure the block's instructions are accurate and it also allows the recipient to show the other participants what they want. Above is my sample. I just love how well the colors go together.



I drew the block in Electic Quilt so I could play around with the colors and quilt layouts. Above is what my end quilt will look like after I've assembled all of my blocks.

What do you think?

8 comments:

luv2quilt2 said...

The block is beautiful. One of these days, I'm going to have to get EQ. I've seen so many beautiful blocks from it. Your block swap sounds like it's great fun.

Sharon T in Napa said...

It looks just great Dena!!! I have always loved orange and purple together. How many groups do you play with???

Cindy Carter said...

Hi Dena,

I love your Birthday Block, the fabrics and the quilt design.

Awesome job.

Thanks for sharing,
Cindy Carter
Quilt Patterns from Seattle

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Oooo that is pretty pretty pretty.

Judy D in WA said...

I love it Dena, I'm not playing this year, too many other things going on but I look forward to how your quilt turns out. Really glad you are back.
I've missed you. :o)

Bia, from Brazil said...

i love the colors and the design! Congratulations! It is coming out beautiful!
Micki´s Irish Muses led me to your blog and I´m happy to have found you. I´m sure to learn a lot from you.

Bia, from Brazil said...

Thanks for dropping by! I´ll think about the encouragement you´ve posted every time I feel like putting it aside! tks!

QuiltedSimple said...

i like it.....very pretty
kris