Monday, May 17, 2010

Another Finished Quilt Top...

I can't believe I've completed two quilt tops in two weeks. See what happens when I'm given a challenge? I guess all I needed was a good swift kick! LOL


I started with three prints. One yard of the molted orange/red, one yard of the floral, and one-half yard of the yellow. I then cut them into 5" squares, 48 squares for the orange/red and floral prints, and twelve of the yellow print.


I then stitched them into twelve nine patches. Following the same technique as in my earlier Disappearing Nine-Patch, I cut my nine-patches into four equal pieces, squared them into 7" squares and put them onto my design wall...


Using the same design layout I laid my blocks into the design; six blocks across and eight blocks down. Above is what it looked like after assembling.


I added two borders. The yellow border was cut 2" for a 1.5" finished border and the orange/red border was cut 6" for a 5.5" finished border.


Here is my finished quilt top. It is hard to believe this is the same pattern as my scrappy D9P quilt from last week. I'm calling this Citrus Splash because it makes me think of oranges, tangerines, and lemons.

Now, how should I quilt these two tops?

18 comments:

Myra said...

Looking wonderful Dena! Love your fabrics! 8-)

mkhquilts said...

I love those bright cheery fabrics! And I love that you used a fairly simple pattern. Showcases the fabris very well, especially the floral.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I've seen this several times and I like it better every time. Just great!!

luv2quilt2 said...

I'm working on quilting on D9P and constructing another quilt top. It's just the best block - a change in fabric or block orientation can make such a huge difference in the look.

Connie said...

This color combination is stunning! Great name for the final results.

Ivory Spring said...

Dena,

It's lovely to hear from you. What a beautiful quilt top. The colors are just so cheerful.

http://www.ivoryspring.wordpress.com

Judy D in WA said...

I love the colors--it's so bright and happy! If I were to quilt this, I would do a fun, floral meander. Can't wait to see what you do.

Maria said...

I love the D9 patch. So quick and easy and always looks great.

Shelley said...

Dena, I LOVE it!!! Gotta make me one!

Ivory Spring said...

Hi Dena,

Thanks for your kind kind words on my Marabella quilt and the quilting on it. I have been thinking at the back of my mind to do something kind of mini tutorial for free-motion quilting since I have been asked by several people. I am still thinking about how to do it since not everyone has the same machine...
http://www.ivoryspring.wordpress.com

Rita said...

This is beautiful and such encouragement to us wanna be quilters!

Jocelyn said...

Hey girl, been missing you. Everything all right??

Myra said...

Hey Dena! Where are you hiding? I hope everything is OK in your patch of the world...

Sheila said...

Thanks for sharing this idea - i will look forward to making a quilt using this design and to exploring your blog as well. Time to begin something new tonight!

Anonymous said...

You´re so quick and your work is so pretty! Congrtulations. I wish I had half your speed and hability!

Rhonda said...

Hi Dena, what are you up to these days? I miss hearing from you. Hope all is well.

Jocelyn said...

Second alert going out for Dena!! Hope everything is okay on your end.

Anonymous said...

OHHHHH I love the orange and yellow disappearing nine-patch! Yummy fabrics!