Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Welcome to my kitchen today

While at my sew-in last Saturday, one of my friends was generous enough to give me some rhubarb stalks from her garden. I love rhubarb.... Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam and Rhubarb Custard Pie are two of my favorites. I didn't have any strawberries to make the jam, but I had more than enough rhubarb to make a pie while freezing another 18 cups. Yummy!


Rhubarb Custard Pie
400° 50 – 60 minutes


9-inch 2 crust pie crust
4 Tbsp flour
3 eggs
1 tsp nutmeg
2 2/3 Tbsp milk
4 cups rhubarb, cut
2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp butter

Preheat oven to 400°. Beat eggs, slightly. Add milk. Mix together and stir in sugar, flour, and nutmeg. Add the rhubarb. Fill pie crust shell with mixture and dot with butter. Place top crust and seal edge. Cut vents in top crust to allow steam to escape as the pie bakes.

Bake in 400° oven for 50 – 60 minutes. Cool pie to room temperature before placing into refrigerator.


2 Crust Pie Crust

2 ½ cups flour
1 cup butter, cut into small cubes and frozen
1 tsp salt
4 to 8 Tbsp ice water
1 tsp sugar

In food processor, add flour, salt, and sugar. Pulse to mix. Add frozen butter and pulse until mixture resembles sand. Add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, and pulse just until mixed. You have enough water when the mixture holds together when pressed.

Place a piece of plastic wrap onto counter and spoon half of mixture onto plastic wrap. Tightly wrap pie dough with plastic wrap compressing pie dough as you wrap. Repeat for remaining pie dough. Place into refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

Remove pie dough from refrigerator and roll dough out to fit pie plate on a lightly floured surface. Line pie plate and add filling. Repeat for top crust.

6 comments:

luv2quilt2 said...

I haven't had a piece of rhubarb pie for years. As a child, a simple rhubarb pudding was a very common dessert in my family. How I miss it.

Unknown said...

it looks good, but i've never had rhubarb, what does it taste like

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Oooo I want some - please!!!!

Lurline said...

Looks delish - I had better have some lunch!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Sharon T in Napa said...

looks great Dena!!! I still have rhubarb out there, but hadn't thought to pick it lately, thinking it was past it's prime!! tomorrow I'll go give it a peek! a neighbor brought me about 12 pounds of potatoes today...

Michele Bilyeu said...

Rhubarb pie is one of my favorites! Rhubarb was one of the few things we could grew in S.E. Alaska as I was growing up and when my grandmother or mom baked rhubarb pie, I was in absolute heaven. I can almost taste it just by looking at this beautiful slice. Maybe someday we'll have computer taste and smell simulation, but until then, you've got me remembering and dreaming!!! Yummmmmm