Tuesday, September 29, 2009

My First Quilting Project

Today I thought I'd share a picture of first quilting project. I made this about thirteen years ago and although it is full of mistakes, I proudly display it to remind me of what I can accomplish without boundaries.

I'm completely self-taught, getting the majority of my quilting knowledge from books or articles I've read, quilting programs on TV, other quilter's who so generously share their knowledge and experience, and from my own experiences... or lessons learned as I like to refer to it.
I had purchased a set of Kaye Woods' Starmaker templates and began to 'practice' making cuts with one of them. My first project is the result of my practicing.

Back then I knew nothing about squaring up blocks or measuring from the center for the length and width of the border before cutting my strips. I wasn't even concerned about matching points yet. I'm sure I managed to match one or two, but when I look at it hanging up on my wall, I don't see whether the points are matching or whether it lies flat. What I see is the results of someone's creative expression, all done without boundaries.

Sometimes I think we set ourselves up to fail if we always follow the rules. And perhaps these rules are important when it comes to critical areas such as getting your project to lie flat, but in other areas I think they’re meant to be broken; or at least bent a little.

So the next time you’re selecting fabric for your next project and you just love those orange and lime green prints with a splash of purple, use them to your heart’s content. Let your boundaries down and cut away. And above all, have fun doing it!

6 comments:

luv2quilt2 said...

I decided long ago that being a perfectionist in quilting will simply drive you to a standstill. It's important to do things you like, and if that breaks 'quilting law', so be it. I love your little quilt.

Connie said...

Good for you! Enjoy yourself.

The quilts you make should reflect YOU!

Ivory Spring said...

Dena,

That's an impressive first quilt with the setting triangles! Quilting is very subjective -- and that's a great thing, is it not?! :)

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Great post - nice first project.

QuiltedSimple said...

very pretty!
Kris

Karen L R said...

There really are no quilt police! And Dali said, "Have no fear of perfection--you'll never reach it". My kind of guy! xoxoxo