Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Musical Angels Quilt Sandwich - Update

The musical angels quilt is pin basted and I've confirmed the quilt backing is laying flat with no wrinkles present.

I've rolled the sides and clipped them in anticipation of starting to machine quilt it.

I purchased Pfaff's Fabric Mover with Stitch Regulator after attending a demonstration at the Puyallup Sewing Expo last March. Prior to purchasing, I also spent about 10 to 15 minutes testing it out to ensure it was what I wanted.


The unit came with a DVD showing how to install it as well as how to use it, a foot control, stitch regulator controller, power supply, and a connector to connect the stitch regulator with my machine.

Here is a picture I took after I have installed it onto my machine.

I've been a hand quilter for years but have always wanted to learn how to machine quilt my quilting projects. I've attempted a couple of times but never successfully. When I saw a demonstration of the Fabric Mover I thought it was the answer to my problems with machine quilting.

I’m a little frustrated with my progress but not enough to give up. I’m going to make a couple more quilt sandwiches to practice on and hopefully I’ll become more comfortable with the mechanics of my technique. Perhaps, instead of using muslin to practice on I’ll go find a large scale print that I can use.

So, until I am more comfortable and confident of my machine quilting skills, I will not be quilting my musical angels quilt.

8 comments:

luv2quilt2 said...

Good luck with your new gadget. I hope you have good luck with it. I look forward to seeing the final result.

SewCalGal said...

Beautiful quilt. You are doing a great job. I can't wait to see this quilt when it is finished!

Jocelyn said...

I hope that you will enjoy machine quilting. I've never used the fabric mover, but it looks like it will work well with some practice.

Rita said...

I just admire anyone that gets the TOP of a beautiful quilt like that done, but now to plan to quilt it yourself! You can do this.....take your time and have your head right! (you might hold your mouth just right) but you can do this.
Will look forward to the day you post the finished quilt!

QuiltedSimple said...

Good luck with your new gadget! Let us know how you like it
Kris

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

What a fun thing - I'm sure you will be quilting those angels in no time. Have fun!!!

Mishka said...

Beautiful quilt .. I love the purple and pink fabric you used.

Good luck with your machine quilting.

Cheers,
Michele

Micki said...

Which Pfaff do you have? I have the Pfaff 4.0 Expression, and i have been thinking of getting the fabric mover, so tell me how it works out. Thanks for stopping by!
Micki