Friday, June 28, 2013

Things That Go Bump In The Night

 
I have what most people consider to be an odd schedule. I'm generally awake before 4:00 am and in bed by 8:00 pm, whether I have to get up early or not. It's my internal clock and it refuses to allow me to sleep in. For me, sleeping in is 4:30 am - 5:00 am.
  
So, last night I'm enjoying my sleep when I'm awakened by a noise at a little before midnight. It was a scratching sound. And it was in my bedroom. We have a visitor but not a visitor you invite for tea and cookies...
 
We live in a rural area and it is not unusual for critters to find their way inside but we have things in place to prevent them from visiting. I'm not a fan of field mice and one of the first things I do each morning is to conduct a visual inspection for signs of visitors. If there's a sign, my husband has work to do.
 
Several years ago, I was sitting in a chair at our desk in the family room while putting my shoes on when I heard a rustling sound coming from the wastebasket beside me. I peered into the wastebasket and what do I see? A critter peering back at me. My husband looked at me oddly as I ran past him in the hallway to our bedroom where I immediately slammed the door shut. As if that would keep the critter from getting in. I've digressed... Back to last night.
 
I'm laying in bed listening to the critter with my husband's snoring in the background... All I'm really focusing on is the critter. I hate it when I'm awakened during the night because rarely am I able to fall back asleep and this disturbance really gets my mind racing so that I can't go back to sleep. And then it hits me... My body is telling me I have to use the bathroom. Well, I am not putting my bare feet on the bedroom floor, in the dark, to go to the bathroom, while we have a visitor. It'll just have to wait. I don't care how loud my body is screaming it has to go.
 
I did finally fall back to sleep sometime after 3:30 am. When I woke back up at 4:30 am I promptly woke up my husband and announced he had work to do.
 
So, what are you doing today? 
 
 

2 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Well thankfully I am not entertaining critters. I am editing photos from last week - taking it easy and trying to get over this summer cold - I think it is working - I feel better today than I did yesterday - I even made myself a piece of french toast for breakfast. Hope your critter is gone.

qwilltr said...

We had a visitor at our back door under the bird feeder last week... a possum. A large scraggly nasty looking one. I thought he was gone but he was hiding under bushes. My pug routed him out. I am always fearful of a confrontation plus I don't want these guys coming in my doggie door. There have been times something has and peed on our carpet!

So last night I go out to lock the sliding glass door and a large raccoon was hanging from the end of our railing around the deck trying to pull himself up so he could get the feeder. I scared him because he immediately emptied his bladder and ran off. Of course, my hubby went out to see. Well, the possum was back and checking out the urine left behind! They are not aggressive but they will fight back when cornered. Ask my husband how he liked being poked in the butt with a stick.

I may have to remove the feeder so my dog doesn't end up getting hurt. He's almost 11 years old and the last thing we need is him torn up by a raccoon or possum!